10/23/09

Photographer finds lost images of Belmont Rocks and I remember my lost youth

Twenty-five years ago, in 1984, at the age of 24, I was spending the summer in Chicago, working for a big advertising agency between my first and second years of business school. So I had smile today when I came across this Chicago public radio blog post about a photographer who had forgotten about these images, from 1984-85, shot at the Belmont Rocks, very close to my summer apartment. The images are very beautiful and poignant (I love this one above)...showing that deep human desire for community, connection and sex. I can almost feel the humid Chicago air, smell the suntan lotion, and hear Duran Duran's "Rio" wafting over the lake. Oh, the memories of youth.

(Addendum: I posted this last night and, surprisingly for me, went to bed with tears running down my cheeks because the photos and photographer's narration brought up all the excitement, confusion, hope, dreams, insecurities, and yearnings of being very young, 24 years old, and "out" that summer in Chicago. Generally, I am not very nostalgic and prefer the present moment, but last night something was triggered -- maybe it was realizing that was 25 years ago, thinking about my life and friends back then, knowing I will be turning 50 in 6 months. Whatever the reason, I bow to that special time and place.)

No comments:

Post a Comment