10/6/09

An autumn night under the redwoods and moon


With a friend, I spent Saturday night camping under the redwoods to celebrate and enjoy the full moon. I needed a brief respite -- to reconnect with nature, the new autumn season, and the basic rhythms of life. I pitched the tent and arranged the pillows so we slept with our faces bathed in the full, blue moonlight. Throughout the night, the redwood and hardwoods trees around us pelted the tent with seed droppings, twigs and other autumn debris. The night air was thick with forest sounds, including crickets, various birds, and the rush of the wind up the Russian River.

At a certain point, I just let go of everything – all my worries, problems, and unfinished business. Sleeping nearly 10 hours, then waking up and taking a hot outdoor shower, having biscuits and gravy for brunch, and driving back slowly to San Francisco, for a dinner with long-time friends.

I love the autumn season and its deconstructionist nature, taking time to honor the things that don’t fit in my life anymore and gently let them fall away. It is a cozy time for me, a season of reflection, going inward, and moving forward on personal initiatives. While I associate the sun with spring and summer, I think of the moon and long shadows when picturing the fall. And welcome its mostly cool breezes.

No comments:

Post a Comment