10/20/09

The "Selma" moment for the LGBT community

Last November, despite the victory of Barack Obama, I woke up the day after the election to the grim reality that the majority of California voters had voted in favor in Proposition 8, denying me a fundamental civil right to marry. For me and millions of other queer citizens, especially those under 40 (who are used to greater tolerance than previous generations), the election results were a cold slap in the face...a call to wake up, get more active, and reach out to those who can educated about our cause.

I have not seen this documentary but it supposedly highlights the Mormon money that bankrolled this proposition, which was initiated by the Catholic Church and Evangelical forces. Thirty years from now, I believe people will see this election as our Selma, a turning point for the LGBT community when we created a real grass roots movement to fight for and win our equal rights.



No comments:

Post a Comment