10/1/09

Helping a child feel more grounded and loved


A few days ago, I came across this article in an UK-based newspaper about the emotional challenges that some of the off-spring from anonymous (sperm and egg) donors feel as they grow up. I can empathize with their feelings, even though in the case of my own mentoree/"little brother", Jason, who was conceived via an anonymous sperm donor, did not know his "bio-dad", as he calls him. I've asked Jase about this through the years, and he has repeatedly told me that he had little interest in meeting this man because he has "so many people and so much love in his life already". But I think there is part of him that is curious about what his father looks like, how he behaves, and who makes up this side of his heritage. Jase has this option open to him now, because at 18, he has the chance to contact his biological father because he was an open donor.

As I move forward to ahead to become a known sperm donor and mentor, I would like to help bring a child into this world and help him or her feel more grounded and loved -- by knowing me, by knowing some stories about my colorful and gutsy ancestors from Spain, and by knowing about my wonderful immediate family, including my brother, mom, dad, and Jason -- all creative and big-hearted people. I feel I can play a unique supporting role in a child's life while his or her moms make all the decisions and do the child-rearing. Just like my experience with Jason over these 14 years. This creative arrangement benefits everyone, creating more love and interconnectedness, and helping a kid find his or her way in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment