10/25/09

The definition of integrity

I had a very important conversation with my friend Jim, today, where we talked about the importance of living with integrity and a personal matter that I need to clean up. If you look up this word on dictionary.com, there are several definitions offered, but one is my clear favorite:

in·teg·ri·ty (ĭn-těg'rĭ-tē) n. The quality or condition of being whole or undivided; completeness.

Yeah, most powerful to me is this idea of being whole, not deceiving and splintering myself with self-deceptions or falsehoods. The intention is to see myself and actions for what they really are, with directness and honesty, and make corrections when needed. While not perfect, I aspire to live with integrity. Not because I want to be a good boy, but rather I want to live a full and complete life...without unnecessary suffering for me or others.

Speaking of integrity, watch this video interview of one of Ireland's most loved athletes, Donal Óg Cusack, a hurling goalkeeper, coming out publicly. In the U.S., this would be the equivalent of Derek Jeter coming out (not that I am insinuating that he is gay).

No comments:

Post a Comment