8/23/09

Which way to go?

Everyone knows how difficult it is for some women to become pregnant. Using IVF or acupuncture, taking the right supplements, undergoing lots of tests, taking hormones, etc. Wow! From listening to my mom friends, there a lot of things to consider and juggle.

I have more empathy for what women go through now, having pursued my dream of being a know sperm donor for just over a year. I have been tested in nearly every conceivable way, some multiple times, including some highly personal ones.:) Life is often funny and unexpected.

Since I've passed all my fertility and health tests with flying colors, I am now putting the word out, in all sorts of ways, about my intention of becoming a known donor for a lesbian or couple. Damn, this whole experience feels more vulnerable than I ever imagined, by posting my name and photos in such a public way and communicating what's in my heart. "What are people going to say or think?," I think to myself. Then I laugh about that. But I do feel "out there" in writing this blog.

Yet, writing seems to calm my anxieties and fears, in addition to getting the word out to beyond my circle of friends. So I am writing this blog, tweeting on a special account in addition to my normal one, and posting on related sites, including with Proud Parenting, TheBump.com, Gay Family Options, and DonorHope.com. If you have any additional suggestions, please let me know. I am open to new ideas. And I am patient, too, because I am operating from my heart, values, and intuition. Putting it out there and letting go...like a real warrior.

2 comments:

  1. Hello, Joe. I found your blog through one of the sperm donation yahoo groups. I've enjoyed reading it so far and you sem like a wonderful man that would make a great father... too bad I am in Florida...

    I saw your list of sites in this post and thought I'd let you know about another site that I found that seems to have a lot of users - co-parentmatch.com. It's not my site but I do have a profile there. Best wishes!

    Jen In Florida

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks, Jen. I appreciate the encouragement and information. Both are helpful.

    ReplyDelete