8/22/09

Galicia: the Celtic part of Spain from which my family hails...

Most people think of Spain as a sunny, arid country. That's only part of the story, because in the northwest corner of this Iberian peninisula, right above Portugal, is Galicia. In this rainy and green place, a visitor would think they are in Ireland or Brittany. Indeed, the Celtic people of this region are related to both of these places, and also descend those warring and nomadic Visigoths, rather than the darker Moors of southern Spain. This is where my grandfather emigrated from during the 1920's, thankfully, about 15 years before the Spanish Civil War commenced. Check out this picture of my boyfriend, from a few years back, when he used to dance with a native Celtic troupe. (I am not sure if his dance partner is wearing a hat or a potted plant.:))

The natives of Galicia are called "gallegos" and are famous for their friendliness, industriousness, long grudges, thrift, stubbornness, and beliefs in all sorts of witchcraft and trickery. I mention this because my family still possesses many of the characteristics, including an interest in spirituality. And on a bad day, you might call one of us cheap, brooding or stubborn. I am sure my grandfather is tickled by the idea that my boyfriend is from Galicia and that my "lil bro" Jase is working in his old country during this summer. Well, my family is proud of Jason for his 60-hour work weeks, summer exploits and all the things he is learning while working for Fonso's family restaurant, including fluency in Spanish and Galician dialect.

I spoke to Jase and Fonso, tonight, after their 12-hour day and they were tired, silly, and full of the devil. Real gallegos. Just like my grandfather. Wherever he is, I am sure he is pleased and as am I. Good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment