8/18/09

My "little brother"/mentoree, Jason, leaves for college this fall

Jason leaves for college at the end of August and I am now feeling those age-old bittersweet feelings of letting him go whilw being excited for him as enters this new phase of his life. I will miss hanging out with him and doing cool things together...like watching movies, talking about relationships, and teasing each other. I know he is going to do well at art college in DC, and am sure he will live his life there with both intensity and curiosity.

He is in Spain for the summer, working for my boyfriend at his family's restaurant and learning to do all sorts of kitchen jobs: washing dishes, cooking traditional Spanish dishes, baking desserts, and cleaning up after everyone. Most importantly, he is becoming a confident young man who is finding his way in the world, turbocharging his Spanish language skills, dating a cute and sweet boy named Manuel, and being part of Fonso's family in Vigo, Spain. He arrives back from Spain on Tuesday afternoon. I can't wait to see him. And then let him go again...off to Obamaland.

It feels right to be ramping up my outreach efforts to become a known sperm donor just as I am watching Jason leave for college. This mentorship has been the best thing I have ever done in my very full and exciting life. I am grateful, with a deep bow.

No comments:

Post a Comment