8/21/09

The importance of family & connection

My parents have been together for 51 years now and I have been lucky to witness and benefit from their very successful partnership. While they have enjoyed money, status and nice things, my parents have valued their kids, putting priorities on and energies into my brother and me. It is mutually beneficial relationship, and since they showed us unconditional love since the beginning, it is easy and natural to return that love back to them -- with phone calls every few days, frequent family get-togethers, and lots of little gestures. Frankly, it feels good to hang out with my folks and brother, and do things together, like hiking, playing Rummikub, and going to Yosemite or Spain.

While I don't want to be a co-parent at the stage of my life, I do welcome the opportunity to connected to lesbian family by being a known sperm donor. I feel I can be a good role model for a child while the mom or moms make all the decisions and do the day-to-day parenting. I am respectful of others' boundaries and preferences, and know how to get along with all sorts of people. Maybe most importantly, I was the recipient of lots of love by my parents and extended family, and, as a result, have lots of love to share with the world, and a child. It feels great to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment