11/4/09

The highway to hell: "Me, My, and I"


In this excerpt from Maureen Dowd's column, today, she talks about Rush Limbaugh and a dinner she had with him a few years back. I think her observations are telling:

Years ago, when I dubbed Dubya “The Boy Emperor,” Limbaugh spewed a stream of personal invective about me that embarrassed even my mother, a Limbaugh fan.

But now Limbaugh calls Obama the “man-child president.”

The 48-year-old Obama is skinny and getting skinnier, but there’s nothing childish about him. He more or less raised himself and came to terms with his Oedipal demons on his own, and he radiates a hard-won maturity.

W., on the other hand, was like a kid who knew that Daddy’s friends would take care of him; he was always running off to the gym or going biking, leaving the governing to his regents, Cheney and Rummy, or incompetents like Brownie.

At our long-ago dinner, Limbaugh credited his success with being “one-dimensional.” “I’m totally concerned with me,” he said. And that was way before he got a contract for $400 million, so we can only imagine how one-dimensional he is now.

But on Sunday, he ripped the president for having “an out-of-this-world ego,” for being “very narcissistic,” “immature, inexperienced, in over his head.” (Isn’t immaturity scoring OxyContin from your maid?)

It gives new meaning to pot, kettle and black.


Note these words: "Limbaugh credited his success with being 'one-dimensional.' 'I’m totally concerned with me.'" Revealing. The one thing that I have learned from all the spiritual paths that I have studied is that those people who are unhappiest have three favorite words: Me, My and I. Overly self-concerned and not self-aware. Even with his millions and millions, does Rush look like a happy man? His actions speak for themselves and his suffering is obvious. Forgetting his politics and divisiveness for a minute, I actually have compassion for him. Narcissism is the opposite of love and unity.

No comments:

Post a Comment