11/28/09

Leaves of grass

Last night I watched a powerful PBS "American Experience" TV show on Walt Whitman and was so moved by his artistry, spirituality, sensuality, and humanity. While being one eccentric and slightly crazy person, he was a keen observer and admirer of the physical world (bodies, plants, the breeze, etc.) with an master's ability to capture their beauty through words.

I remember reading his life's work, "Leaves of Grass", in college but not being worldly, present or wise enough yet to truly grasp his insights. However, I can today. One of the unusual things about Whitman is that he imagined us, and wanted to communicate not just with his contemporaries but with future generations of readers who would be sharing much of the same life experiences that he did. I love his ability to project forward and this points to belief in the interconnectedness of humans and our experience. Whitman was also a compassionate humanistic who volunteered and tended to the wounded soldiers of the Civil War. As the Buddha encouraged us to do, he looked directly at the suffering of the world -- not averting his eyes or running from it -- and was transformed by it.

Until last night, I didn't realize that were seven editions of Leaves, with significant changes from one to another in the first five. And it goes without saying that Walt was a proud gay man who a century before his time.

Whitman and his work are a good reminder for me today to enjoy the physical experience of being alive as I tend the garden, exercise and do yoga, cook, and feel my own primitive power. I am inspired...

No comments:

Post a Comment