9/20/09

That "feeling": another reason why I want to mentor another child




About a year into being Jason's "big brother", when he was six, we were having lunch at his favorite restaurant, laughing, joking and carrying on with one another. Then without warning, sitting across from me, he placed his tennis shoes on top of mine and acted as if nothing had happened. And left them there for the next half an hour.

While I was surprised by this, in my very guy-way, I did not acknowledge it either. But I knew what it meant: Jase trusted me and wanted to show his heartfelt connection with me. After dropping him off at his moms', I drove home with tears running down my cheeks and a softer heart.

Last night, more than twelve years later, Jason called me from college, just two weeks into his freshman year. While having taken some personal time and space to establish himself at school, he now needed to talk and connect. He rattled off a long monologue about his new life in DC; but as he heard his roommate begin to unlock and about enter their dorm room, he quickly ended the call, by nonchalantly whispering "I love you" into the phone. With wet eyes, I smiled, and felt that same feeling once again.

This is just another reason why I want to mentor another child, this time as a known donor.

No comments:

Post a Comment