9/8/09

Almost time to leave the land of my ancestors

We watched the sun set into the Atlantic tonight, at an obscure beach cafe and with a domesticated duck, named Juanito, at my feet, and a spirited boy trying to reach for it and feed it candy. The duck wisely used my legs for its protection.

Also, Fonso stopped on the way home to show me seven giant Sequoia trees thriving here in Galicia. They were planted by their eccentric owner over 70 years ago, and not surprising are shooting up in height, here in this land of black soil, strong sun and frequent rain. Everything grows wild here, all sorts of plants including ferns, palm and avocado trees. If you leave a lot of land untended and it will be covered up by a variety of plants and trees in three years. Things grow just like that. This is a land of dark forests, mountains, tumultuous seas, and witchcraft so I am not surprised by much that I find. I can see why Jason fell in love with it here during his three month apprenticeship.

Now off to the Darbo for drinking wine, eating chorizo, Celtic dancing, and talking with lots of Fonso's friends. I will be leaving this place, the land of my grandfather, Emilio Rodriguez, with its spirit even more burnt into my heart. My grandfather is even more with me, tonight and beyond.

No comments:

Post a Comment