9/23/09

My partner in business...and in helping kids


Because of the bad economy, business has been very slow and frustrating, despite all the effort that has gone into cultivating new clients. Despite that, through small and big ways, I am constantly reminded that I am fortunate to be working with one of the smartest and most trustworthy people I know, my business partner Jane. She and I own a boutique business strategy firm, and nearly everyday, we see each other, have lunch, and solve thorny strategic problems together. We know each other through and through, and can anticipate what each other is going to say or do in a given situation. Our partnership dates back nearly 20 years, when she was my first boss in San Francisco.

We are a good team because we have complimentary skills and share the values of hard work, perseverance, and integrity. We both hail from ambitious Catholic families who put a premium on character and achievement -- which, mostly, is a good thing. Our shared business ethos is best summarized by the Marge Piercy poem called "To be of Use."

Like me, Jane cares deeply about kids and, in addition to raising a wonderful daughter herself as a divorced and single mom, she has helped disadvantaged children by serving on the board of directors of several education organizations. I, too, have been active in volunteering with children, working with foster kids for a number of years and then, more recently, speaking to over 250 high school health education classes, over 10 years, about my life as a gay man. For nearly two decades, Jane and I have collaborated in volunteering for a large children's advocacy group, which she is the chairperson of.

We have been very supportive of each other, especially as it relates to the kids in our personal lives. I supported Jane when her daughter dropped out of Jane's alma mater and switched colleges. And she has provided me with wise counsel as I mentored Jason, especially when his moms went through a divorce and he was depressed and unhappy in high school. Nearly every day we share some tidbit about her latest phone call from her daughter or my news about Jason.

I am proud of Jane and the work we do for business clients, as well as helping children. We have our ups and downs, yet we clearly see and value one another in both good times and bad. She is a real gem, and makes me life better and more fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment