9/2/09

Going home...to my grandfather's birthplace

Later today I am flying to Galicia, Spain, where my grandfather was born and emigrated from. Of course, I am seeing Fonso and spending some quality time with him. Most of all, I am unplugging for a week, resting from an active and often stressful summer, especially given the recessionary and slow business environment. I need to sleep in, go to the beach, eat great Spanish food, laugh, and walk cobblestone streets. And I am flying there and back for about $500, the same price as flying to NYC.

I will be staying in the port city of Vigo, co-incidently, the last place in Spain that my grandfather, Emilio, saw as his ship left from there. Sometimes, I can almost feel my grandfather's spirit, pushing me to strengthen my ties with his region. Like today, as I pack and get ready to leave. By the way, Santa Maria is the small hamlet, near the border with Portugal, where Emilio was born. I mean small: maybe 20 people in total and thrice as many goats, sheep and cows.

I can't wait to eat the delicacies of this seafaring region: octopus, caldo galego, empanadas, chorizo, and paella. And to be surrounded by people who physically look more like my family and me. And are temperamentally similar, too: proud, stubborn, political, tough, superstitious, hard-working, frugal, and family-oriented. This is where my "little brother," Jason, spent this summer, working for Fonso at his family's seafood restaurant. And it will now be my vacation spot.

I am not sure if I will have time for this blog during this break. Life will tell. Now off to the old country for some much needed R&R.

No comments:

Post a Comment