8/30/10

The antidote to anger & hate

These past few days have been a good lesson. Despite that I feel it is a positive development that former Republican Chairman Ken Mehlman came out recently, part of me was filled at anger and hate at all the anti-gay things he has done to win elections on behalf of George W. Bush. I was surprised to see that I had such self-righteousness in my being, what felt like a hangover feeling from the Bush/Cheney years.

They called Ken the most vile names, wished for his physical harm, and treated him in the worst possible way. The antidote for these difficult feelings was reading the vitriolic comments of gay bloggers on many the popular sites, and really being with these harsh words...seeing into them, into the conditions and actions that caused them, and into myself.

I can understand my fellow gay bloggers anger with Ken, but I don't share the same behavior. Reading the words of hate from my own community reminded me of the importance of forgiving and moving forward, like Gandhi, King, and Mandela did.

No comments:

Post a Comment