12/12/09

Gay teenagers today: reaching out beyond "the closet" via blogs and other social media

When I was 13-years-old, growing up in a small town in Illinois, I had a big crush on a fellow student and hockey player, Don Voss, and often felt that crush went both ways. I was too scared to do anything about it back then but all these high school memories came back to me when I came across a posting at Outsports about the blog of a 17-years-old gay midwestern hockey player, named Mike. I am so glad that gay teenagers today can reach beyond the closet to network with other gay kids. It is a good thing. Check out Mike's blog to get a reminder of high school life. The basic social dynamics haven't changed that much...and I have no desire to be in high school again.

No comments:

Post a Comment