3/17/13

This new pope, while not supportive of my rights as a gay person, may be a wee bit more humble and humane than his predecessor. It's a start...


“Given that many of you do not belong to the Catholic Church, and others are not believers, I give this blessing from my heart, in silence, to each one of you, respecting the conscience of each one of you, but knowing that each one of you is a child of God. May God bless you.”
--Francis I

In the above quote from his first press conference as pope, I like how Francis showed spiritual respect for the conscience of every human being, including all of humankind, not just Catholics, in his prayers.

The historical record shows Francis was ferocious enemy of marriage equality in Argentina (and may have been complicit with that country's murderous military junta in the 1980s), so I am under no illusions about him being a sweet and humble ole guy. However, I appreciate this spark of humanity and compassion from the leader of the largest church in the world.  It is a hopeful sign

No comments:

Post a Comment