7/20/13

I applaud Obama for speaking from the heart about the death of Trayvon and how racism has personally affected him



President Obama:
"When Trayvon Martin was first shot I said that this could have been my son. Another way of saying that is that Trayvon Martin could have been me 35 years ago. When you think about in the African-American community, there’s a lot of pain around this. It’s important to recognize that the African-American community is looking at this issue through a set of experiences and a history that doesn’t go away. And I don’t want to exaggerate this, but those sets of experiences inform how the African-American community interprets what happened one night in Florida. And it’s inescapable for people to bring those experiences to bear....There are very few African-African men who haven’t had the experience of being followed in a department store. That includes me.”


Empathy, wisdom, compassion, calm, and dignity: what more can ask from the leader of the free world.

No comments:

Post a Comment