4/2/13

How suffering can create empathy: GOP Senator Mark Kirk announces his support for marriage equality after a long recovery from a stroke

 

First, it was Senator Rob Portman changing his views on LGBT rights after his son came out to him.
Now it is Senator Mark Kirk, supporting marriage equality, who recently returned to the Senate after a year-long recovery from a stroke.  Today, he issued this short statement:
When I climbed the Capitol steps in January, I promised myself that I would return to the Senate with an open mind and greater respect for others. Same-sex couples should have the right to civil marriage. Our time on this Earth is limited, I know that better than most. Life comes down to who you love and who loves you back– government has no place in the middle.
Empathy is a beautiful thing, especially in our political leaders. I am proud of these Republicans for turning their backs on the homophobic platform and policies of the GOP.  They have shown that they have a heart and conscience -- as well as being savvy politicians who know that younger voters support marriage equality.

No comments:

Post a Comment