4/7/13

Last night I saw the span of my gay life, from re-watching "My Beautiful Laundrette" to viewing Sonny & Will make out on "The Days of Our Lives"

I had been out only a few years when I saw Daniel Day Lewis play a rough gay punker who is in love with a Pakistan-English former classmate. At 25-years-of-age, I felt the movie "My Beautiful Laundrette" was positive in its portrayal of gay people and I had pretty fond memories of it until I re-watched last night.  Seeing this movie reminded me how much has changed in my life and in the gay movement since 1985. Now, we are no longer hiding our love and ourselves in the shadows, like the gay couple in this movie, hoping for any crumbs of societal and family acceptance.



No, I am not a soap opera fan but I do remember watching "The Days of Our Lives" with my grandmother when I was young.  This isn't my grandmother's soap opera anymore: after seeing My Beautiful Laundrette, I came across the following youtube clip, featuring the show's hunky and proudly out gay couple, Sonny and Will, who celebrate their same-sex attraction and love with passionate kissing and bare-chested scenes.  This soap mirrors the progress that society has made in accepting and mainstreaming gay people.

For three hours, I felt like I was "watching the sands through the hourglass..", the days of my life.




No comments:

Post a Comment