11/4/13

My, my, how far we've come: 2 gay West Point graduates marry at the Academy


This is almost unbelievable. Two U.S. Military graduates get legally married, and at West Point, to top it off.  Congratulations to Larry Choate (on the left) and Daniel Lennox! These seem to be fine young men with a world of possibilities ahead of them.  

Having personally served under the hateful "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" law, these two men are cognizant of the special time in which they live and the sacrifices others made to ensure their privileges. Larry wrote this on their blog:

As we waited and I sat there in the lobby thinking about these things I found myself so incredibly grateful to be living here and now in a time and place when I can marry that incredible man sitting next to me. He's everything I hope to deserve when my whole life is over and I'll spend the rest of my days chasing that goal to be worthy of his love and affection. In a perfect world everyone will find their Danny and I'm incredibly blessed to have found mine. If we had lived even one decade earlier our love story would be tainted by the bigotry and fear of the unknown that was all too common in the lives of gay and lesbian men and women who came of age before us. We did not have to wage a lot of the battles that brought us the right to marry one another. We did endure Don't Ask/Don't Tell but even that was nothing compared to downright dark and terrifying realities that gays and lesbians had to endure until things started getting better not too terribly long ago. 

The best thing that Larry and Danny can do to honor the work of the gay people who came before them is to live openly, honestly and joyfully.  Congratulations, boys! 


No comments:

Post a Comment