12/28/11

Coming together as a family...around a campy puzzle



This holiday, my mom and dad, my gay brother and his California-married husband, my "nephew"(a kid I have mentored since he was 5, now is 20...and is also gay), and I all collaborated on putting together an 1000-piece puzzle with hundreds of faces of celebrities from the 1980's. Off and on for 5-days, we pushed our puzzle-solving limits, each using of us bringing our gifts (e.g. matching colors and shapes, decoding the puzzle box, or organizing the remaining pieces) and refusing to give up when we placed only 3-4 pieces in a hour. But we are not quitters.

This campy puzzle, which would have made Andy Warhol smile (partially since he is prominently featured), became the center point of our holiday weekend and our family activities. Frustration, rivalry, compassion, encouragement, curiosity and elation are some of the feelings we experienced together.

It was a lovely experience that gave me even greater appreciation for these people I call "family."

No comments:

Post a Comment