1/27/11

Zen precept #7: "Not killing" -- the honoring of all life


Zen Precept #7: Not killing.
Of course, we should not kill other beings, that is clear. For me, the real spirit of this precept is the encouragement to be more aware of all forms of life, to celebrate them, and cultivate compassion and a sense of oneness with them. With no separation between them and me -- seeing that we are made of the same physical elements (carbon, oxygen, etc...) as well as sharing the earth, sky and seas.

Maybe more applicable to my life, I don't want to kill other people's spirits by belittling or discouraging them. This is a terrible form of violence that is especially common in schools, businesses,and families. For example, I deeply regret some of the unkind things I said to my brother when we were kids and I was unhappy. It hurt him. I, also, regret mean things I have said in my romantic relationships, too. For all these unskillful actions, I apologize from my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment