1/25/11

Zen precept #5: "Practice all that is good" -- being more skillful so we lessen suffering in our world


Zen precept #5: Practice all that is good.
Zen Priest Reb Anderson explains this precept by saying, "wholeheartedly live life based on freedom from the illusion of an independent self or in another words, to awaken fully to the interdependent self and to express such a self."

Anderson explains that "good" can also be translated as "skillful" which is even more meaningful to me when I think about my missteps and hurtful behavior. In these instances, I am usually focused on my own needs only, not thinking how my behavior will impact those I love and cause more suffering in the world. This precept is good to remember, for example, the next time I am impatient with the cautious driver or use inflammatory language about Tea Party politician on this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment