1/16/14

I was at the premiere of HBO gay drama "Looking" and it reminds of my life here in San Francisco, over the past 20 years



By the director of the movie "Weekend," this new TV series portrays the coming of age of three friends who are living and loving in San Francisco. After viewing the first two episodes, I can say the writing is top-notch, the casting and acting is strong, and the show is as beautifully shot as "Weekend" was.  This show is so much better than "Sex in the City," which seems more pretty, self-conscious, and contrived in the end.

Over the last 36 hours, having watched this the new TV series has made me reflect on my life immersed in nearly aspect of San Francisco.  It has made me reflect on the naivete, beauty and innocence of my 29-year-old self, who moved to this city long ago.  Reflecting back on "me" back then, I have so more appreciation for my struggles to fully accept my sexual orientation, to learn to date and be in a good relationship, and to make my way in the world with verve and authenticity.

This TV loves San Francisco, and shows it like city insider would do for a visiting guest.  The cinematography capture the colors and vibe of my city.

Watch this show on Sunday night.

No comments:

Post a Comment