12/7/12

Character matters -- at least to some millennial voters


A reader from the Daily Dish:
I was born in 1986, and graduated from college in the winter of 2008 - right at the moment of the financial collapse. But I see, and many of my friends see, that our workforce woes were created by the policies of George W. Bush. Because that is the fact of the matter. 
Facts, more than political orientations, are what I see as defining my generation. Our species has never had such unprecedented access to them. I can't think of a time that a bar debate didn't end with my friends pulling out their smartphones to find out the actual truth. We don't need to fight over who directed it; IMDB is a click away. I see this as distinct from my parents generation: the ubiquitous and sophisticated hoaxes on the Internet have given us finely-tuned bullshit radars, and I'm actually much less likely to believe something I've read than the boomers in my life (until I've checked snopes). 
Pundits on both ends of the political spectrum have been crowing about how much the youth loves Obama. That may be so. But I think just as many were absolutely repulsed by Romney. Most of my friends were reading the news more for the fact-checking than for the analysis, and for anyone paying attention Romney was clearly more apt to lie. We saw a man who seemed totally incapable of speaking the truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment