12/6/12

Because of bullied kids like Josh Pacheco, we will never, never give up in advocating for the full acceptance of LGBT. RIP, Josh



Another gay teenage boy took his life because he was tired of being bullied and the shame he felt around it.  This story breaks my heart on so many levels. I was bullied in grade school for being different. I watched my nephew be bullied in his junior year for being gay. I have heard anti-gay taunts hurled at members of my community. This behavior hurts the well-being of millions of LGBT people and, in some cases, kills them.  And it fills me with anger and closes my heart a bit.

But as I know from my spiritual studies, I believe that "love is the answer, whatever the question" and responding from this perspective.  For me, that means:
  • Standing up and stopping bullying wherever possible. For example, I got my nephew's school superintendent to adopt a no-tolerance bullying policy for the school district, including diversity training for the staff and students.
  • Calling out institutions and leaders that encourage bullying by their condemnation of or discrimination against gay people, including the Mormon and Catholic churches, the Boy Scouts of America, the Republican and Tea Parties, etc.  We need to fight institutionalized homophobia at every turn, everyday, with a clear and strong "NO"!
  •  Supporting those LGBT organizations with a special outreach to youth, including the Gay-Straight Alliance network, GLSN (gay educators), GLAAD, It Gets Better, and the Trevor Project.
According to news reports, Josh was a sensitive and loving kid, without a mean bone in his body.  A good-hearted spirit. All of which are beautiful things.

Most saddening for me is that Josh left a note in the truck which read: 'I'm sorry I wasn't able to be strong enough.'  Well, Josh, you did your best and many many people, like myself, will keep pushing to change the world until no gay kid feels the need to take his or her own life.  That's a promise.  RIP

No comments:

Post a Comment