10/9/12

My evening with Barack



Obama’s debate performance was a disaster, and since then I have been going through the stages of shock, denial, anger, and recommitment. I have been disappointed that a nearly flawless presidential campaign been almost undone by the President’s timidity, unpreparedness, and overconfidence (in his debating abilities) last Wednesday night.

So it was interesting to see and hear President Obama last night in San Francisco.  He was clearly back in the saddle, with a deep and passionate voice, championing the many many things he has accomplished and articulating his vision for a strong middle class America.  While he never mentioned or apologized for his debate performance, his full-throated speech showed he gets it:  that he screwed up and knows that the country was as disappointed with his performance as he with himself.

He humbly asked everyone in the crowd for their help, as he has done in the past: in winning the long 2008 campaign, passing healthcare reform, repealing Don’t Ask Don’t Tell, etc.  He reminded us that it was the American people that helped him do all these great things -- and together, we can do it again: winning this election and continuing the work of rebuilding America.

No, Obama is not a perfect man or leader.  But his vision for the country is so much better than his cynical “say-anything-to-win” competitor. For me, I want my nephew Jason and my cousins to inherit a country where every person is seen, valued, and given a fair shake at a decent life.

So in the 28 days remaining till election day, I am rolling up my sleeves, volunteering in calling voters in NV and CO, giving $ when I can, and, most importantly, refusing to become cynical or complacent about this election.  I invite you to join me in the messy and sometimes heart-breaking work of participating in the democratic process -- for the next four weeks. I am fired up!

--Joe





No comments:

Post a Comment