9/15/12

Why women -- or America -- should not trust Mitt's words



From the Daily Dish:
In an interview with Joanna Brooks, Mormon feminist Judy Dushku reflects on her personal experience with Romney, who had been her bishop and stake president in the Belmont, MA, community. Her account offers insight into both Romney's earlier pro-choice views and how, even in the early 1990s, political calculation shaped his platform: 
When I entered the office, there was a table to my right where I saw women from the ward working. I said, “Hi,” and he asked, “What brings you here?” I told him I was interested in politics, that I heard he was taking a pro-choice stance [in his Senate race], and that I was wondering if, as a Democrat and fellow Mormon, maybe I could work for him.... “Yes, I’m definitely for choice,” he said. And I said, “Great, we agree on that.” Then, he said, “In Salt Lake, they told me it was okay to take that position in a liberal state.” I said, “That doesn’t make me quite as happy. I’d rather know you really believe it....” And that’s why I continued to try to understand his point on the issue. I asked, “What about women who might be on public assistance?” He said, “I would never have the state provide for abortion.” I said, “For a lot of Massachusetts women that won’t work.” He got very restless and stood up and said, “I am pro-choice; is there something else?”

No comments:

Post a Comment