4/14/12

Quote of the day, from Oral Roberts' grandson


My fiancé and I are ten years apart and we're experiencing this marriage license so differently. Keaton said he's always assumed he'd be able to legally marry a man someday whereas that concept wasn't even on my radar until maybe 5 years ago; it would have been like finding out Santa Claus is real. Where I come from, and I don't mean geographically but the evangelical community, gay people are subhuman. The idea that they could marry is almost cute, like some Southerners must have felt about slave marriages - like, what's the point? It's definitely not something I ever imagined being real - when I first heard about gay couples suing for marriage rights 10 years ago I thought it was a joke. And now I have an application all filled out in New York, a wedding registry, a ceremony planned, friends and family excited about attending, rings in the works, and a judge in NYC who will sign the paperwork when it's all said and done. I know we have a lot more to fight for and I'll do my part, but I am already so thankful for what we've already gained. I never expected this. I didn't see it coming. And I'll never take such an amazing thing for granted.

- Randy Roberts Potts

No comments:

Post a Comment