3/17/12

BYU student - Nick Norman - digs deep, accepts himself, and comes out in the student paper


BYU psychology student, Nick Norman, came out in a big way at BYU, and shared his journey with the student newspaper, The Independent. Beautiful. Here are some highlights:

"But I was gay and it was clear that wasn’t going to change. How could I be gay and still have a relationship with God?"

"I began to pray again. I prayed to know what God would have me do, but the only thing I ever got in response was 'Nicholas, I love you.'"/i>

"...Next came the understanding that my orientation was not a mistake, not a flaw or a disease. Rather, God opened to my understanding the beauty and the godliness in my desires for love and companionship. He showed me the glory in the love I yearned to feel with all my heart and gradually I began to see His fingerprints on this part of myself. Along with this came the understanding that to enter into a relationship with a young woman, when I could never truly care for her as she needed, would be deceptive and wrong. It would be a sin against her and against me."

"As I have accepted this part of myself and learned to see the beauty in it, I have gained a peace and a wholeness I didn’t know possible. My orientation is a part of me, a part of my very soul, and as I have accepted it I have been able to approach God in prayer with a sincerity I have never felt before. When I pray, God not only listens, but He sits with me, He communes with me, He speaks with me. I have felt the deep purpose of who I am and I marvel at the magnificence of His grand design. I have found a joy that is so great that at times I cannot contain the smile that comes to my lips."

No comments:

Post a Comment