1/2/12

President Obama: you can do better than this in protecting the civil liberties of American citizens. I am disappointed!


"I want to clarify that my Administration will not authorize the indefinite military detention without trial of American citizens. Indeed, I believe that doing so would break with our most important traditions and values as a Nation. My Administration will interpret section 1021 in a manner that ensures that any detention it authorizes complies with the Constitution, the laws of war, and all other applicable law,"

--President Barack Obama, in a signing statement attached the to NDAA.

Andrew Sullivan's reaction:
This is very encouraging ... but still weak. It means that a future president could interpret this law very differently - as all the GOP hopefuls, except Paul and Huntsman, promise to do.

My reaction: This is wrong no matter what his signing statement says. It expands Presidential power at the expense of civil liberties safeguarded in the U.S. Constitution. I am very disappointed with the President on this issue. This is the kind of un-Constitutional stuff that most Republican politicians support.

No comments:

Post a Comment