6/8/10

The circle of fellows in my life

Last night, my buddhist men's group met at my house for our weekly meeting, to meditate and discuss the lesson of the week (in this case, desire). The 30-minute meditation finally calmed my frazzled mind, thank god.

And our conversation about desire really intrigued and inspired me. We talked about the importance of truly embracing the mundanity of life at work, at home, and in our relationships. To stay present, even with tedious or difficult activities, when our minds push us to escape into powerful distractions, like TV, sex, food, or the internet.

We also spoke about the power of "soft intention": giving all your attention to an activity or goal, but doing so without strong attachments to a particular result. Enjoying your life as you move in the intended direction. For example, in the fight for LGBT equality, celebrating mundane daily life as you keep working to achieve full rights for LGBT people.

I am very grateful that this group of men came into my life. And the lessons they bring. A deep bow.

No comments:

Post a Comment