2/12/14

We -- the LGBT -- can be anything, from an Eurosong contestant to Navy Seal. And we are...

Introducing Ryan Dolan.  This story from Towleroad:

Ryan, perhaps best known as Ireland’s contestant in Eurovision’s Song Contest last year, came out of the closet in an interview with Ireland’s Radio One. As The Independent reports, the singer told radio personality Derek Mooney,  “In school I was confused about who I was, and it was really hard for me growing up because of that. It was hard to deal with because I knew that I was gay, but I couldn't get the courage to talk to someone about it.”



Introducing Brett Jones, a gay Navy Seal. Story from Sofrep:

The Navy had a Don’t-ask Don’t-tell policy (DADT), and I had met a number of people at gay bars in the area who still had been dishonorably discharged for it.  Being a Navy SEAL and gay proposed its own set of problems.  Fortunately for me, it was not obvious to people that I was gay.  If I wanted to go out on a date with Mike (which I did), I was going to have to do some serious lying.

First, I was going to have to lie to my SEAL teammates.  I absolutely hated it when I did that.  It was Friday and they would no doubt try to get me to go out with them after our last dive.  Second, I was going to lie to Mike, because there is no way in hell I was going to tell him truthfully what I did and who I worked for.  I’m not proud of the lies, but living under the rule of DADT left me few options in such a small close-knit community.

Being gay is not a choice.  In fact, I can remember countless nights of restless sleep praying for God to help me find women attractive in that way.  As Garth Brooks says, “Some of God’s greatest gifts are un-answered prayers.” Though it took me a while to fully understand, I know now, that our diversity is one of the greatest gifts this world has to offer.

It can be very difficult to accept who you are, especially in an environment that has a history of treating LBGT  (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, & Transgender) people negatively.  At the time, the thought of my teammates discovering my secret was terrifying.  Eventually, I was forced out of the closet to my SEAL team, and I discovered that it was not as bad as I had made it in my mind. Sure, there were guys who would whisper and talk behind my back, but overall my SEAL brothers supported me.  For that, I will always be thankful.  It was because of that support, from my brothers, that I could proudly say, “My name is Brett Jones, I am a Navy SEAL, and I am gay.”


No comments:

Post a Comment