9/15/11

Last night, I attended the world premiere of the HBO documentary of "The Strange History of Don't Ask, Don't Tell." Reliving the long repeal effort, I cried with pride for my community and allies standing up to injustice


If you have HBO, watch this well-done show airing Monday and Tuesday nights. It get gives an overview of famous gays in the military, discrimination by the U.S. government starting in WW II, and the Herculean and ultimately successful effort to repeal of this unjust law. Last year, I dedicated several hundred hours to the repeal of DADT, as a blogger and a frequent letter writer/tweeter. Also, I must say that I am so proud of my friends and family for responding to my early morning requests to email wavering Republican senators. Of course, my mom, who loves her two gay sons, went beyond what I asked and called Senator Susan Collins' legislative director and spoke to him directly for several minutes. Later, he told me that he had heard from all the Rodriguezes and their friends. Senator Collins went on to be the Senate co-sponsor of the final bill that passed.

I honor my family, friends, LGBT leaders, President and Senators, and the brave men and women inside the military who fought this law. YES WE CAN...reclaim our full rights as citizens and reaffirm the ideas embodied in the U.S. Constitution. There is nothing more patriotic.

No comments:

Post a Comment