3/11/11

Coming home to the Land of Enchantment


I arrived in Northern New Mexico last night and I am so happy to be home, the place where my Conquistador ancestors settled over 400 years ago, the place I was conceived and born, and the place where my ashes will eventually be scattered. Some of the things I love here: the Santo Cristo mountains, the scrub brush against the color of the high desert earth, the charming sing-song spoken English that mimics the local Spanish dialect, the taste of green chiles, and the smell of frying sopapillas. This isn't a rich or intellectual place, but New Mexicans tend to be big-hearted, tough, family-oriented, Democratic, and supersticious. I love these people and this land, and I can feel my beloved grandmother's presence around me today, even more than usual, now that I am home.

No comments:

Post a Comment