11/4/10

One of the greatest days in San Francisco history, the City celebrates its World Series win in its unique way




A friend of mine (who is college teacher with lots of foreign students) sent me this email that captures the spirit of the city yesterday:

Yes, today was a very special day. I had to be at work around 10 AM so I worked until 11:15 and then walked the two blocks to Market Street and Montgomery. There were so many people I couldn't get anywhere near Market Street. I climbed up on a large planter in front of the Palace Hotel and I could just see the top half of the motorized cable cars carrying the players as they rode by. But I was a half block from Market so I couldn't make out any individual players. I could read the names of the players on the top of the cable cars so I knew who was inside and let go of the branch of the tree I was holding on to for dear life just long enough to cheer and applaud when my favorite players, Posey, Sanchez, Madison Brumgardner, etc rode by. It was fun and the crowd was so together in their joy and admiration of the team. I loved the confetti floating down in the air from the tall buildings at Montgomery and Market. A great day! Then I had to teach for three hours. My students all straggled in late for their class, all excited and with stories to tell about how they made it (or not) across Market Street in the middle of the parade to get to 180 New Montgomery and our class. I explained to them that they had just taken part in history. I explained baseball to them and tried to answer the inevitable question about why it's called the World Series if the competition only takes place in the US. They also needed to know the meaning of ticker tape and didn't understand why it's still called that if the machines that make it no longer exist. We had a fun class and the good mood of the city and all the fans carried over to the class.

A long overdue day for one special city. San Francisco, home of GIANTS!

No comments:

Post a Comment