5/27/10

How washing your hands can foster mindfulness...or anything done with awareness

How many times have you heard the expression - maybe you've used it yourself: I'm going to wash my hands of something. Could there be more to the metaphor than meets the eye? Could washing your hands have some tangible effect on your thoughts? A study out recently in the journal Science suggests that the answer is yes, that hand washing can actually change your thinking. The author of the study, Mr. Lee, suggest that the concrete act of washing might provide a basis for the more complex, abstract concepts of morality and purity. For more

--dailygood.org

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this. On one of my trips to the Amazon, during a vine journey, an old Indian came up to me, and said very plainly in my right ear:

    "Wash your hands."

    That's all he said. I was left to meditate on it. Gradually, it came to me that I should do a hand washing ritual.

    At the time, I was very blocked in my artistic expression. Gummed up with self doubt, worry, frustration.

    So for three months, I went into my studio garden every morning with a bowl of scented water. I sat down, and poured the water over my hands, while meditating on simply honoring myself as an artist. Nothing more.

    By the end of that time, I felt completely open, creatively free. I went on to make my first short film that won festival awards, a feature documentary, etc.

    It was like magic! I believe my simple ritual opened a window into my psyche for other possibility/ thought. Which could then grow.

    I love how simple it was. No mantras, no affirmations, etc. Just two minutes each morning, pouring water over my hands.

    It taught me the lesson that I don't have to try and strive so much. It taught me how to open up allowance in my soul.

    ReplyDelete