11/2/09

Finding common ground in today's media circus


Fairly, Jon Stewart rips Fox News for being totally partisan, MSNBC for being mostly partisan and the Obama administration for being very naive. I love his style. I am concerned about the polarization of news channels because it makes for a more divisive country where people don't hear and understand the other viewpoint. In short, these highly partisan new channels create a circus-like atmosphere that's high on entertainment value but low on finding common ground on society's critical issues. This trend is not good for democracy. Click here for the video


(BTW, one of my friends asks what do my political interests, like this clip above, have to do with family and my desire to be a sperm donor/mentor? Fair question and here is my response:

From my family, I have inherited a passion for social justice, the overall well-being of society, and the importance of family. I was brought up with "Profiles in Courage" by John F. Kennedy on our family coffee table and was instilled with those ideals. Politics and public service were never just an abstract intellectual subject for my family as it is for some; instead, we've tended to jump into things in order to make this world a better place: my great-grandfather tried to unionize Spanish coal miners (was forced out of the country at gunpoint), my great-uncle was one of the first Hispanic lawmakers in the New Mexico Senate, my dad spoke out against segregation in the early 1960s and went on to serve on several school boards, and my mom recruited the first classes for Head Start by going door-to-door to reach the rural poor in Illinois. Most importantly, my ancestors brought this same level of passion and attention to their children, honoring and encouraging them.

I want Jason and any other kids I have/or mentor to grow up in a better world, where good health care and education are basic rights for all, not just privileges for the rich. I want a world where they can prosper as well as live in a socially responsible way. I want them to get angry and organize for change when they come across injustice or discrimination, like I have done for LGBT rights since 1981. This is part of my passion and who I am. For me, politics is personal, reveals our love or fear, and is about the welfare of all beings, especially the children.
)

No comments:

Post a Comment